Blog Archive

3.9.11

The low down on Duphaston




 The drug I mentioned in my vlog is called Duphaston. Duphaston is it's brand name. The name of the medicine is a hormone called dydrogesterone, which is a synthetic hormone similar to the naturally occurring sex hormone, progesterone. Women usually take it when they don't produce enough progesterone themselves because without healthy amounts of progesterone, you're uterine lining can't flourish. A good uterine lining is needed for an egg to implant and to maintain a healthy pregnancy.

My doctor gave it to me to kickstart my period and I have to take one of them every day for two weeks. Every woman is different, just do what your doctor says. If you take too many, it can actually prevent ovulation and cause miscarriage so be careful.

What I found very interesting is that this same drug is used to prevent miscarriage. Like I said in the video, if this is true, I definitely want to keep using it. But before I do I needed to do some research. I found out that doctors usually prescribe Duphaston when a woman experiences light to heavy bleeding (the possible start of a miscarriage) in early pregnancy.  How does it actually work? Like I mentioned earlier, a good uterine lining is needed for an egg to implant and to maintain a healthy pregnancy. So what this drug basically does is prep your uterus for implantation and make it the perfect environment for a fetus to grow in. Doctors usually prescribe Duphaston to women who've had more than two miscarriages.

Miscarriage in the first trimester is usually caused by chromosomal abnormalities, collagen vascular disease (such as lupus), diabetes, other hormonal problems, infection, and congenital (present at birth) abnormalities of the uterus. Over half of fetal tissue from the first trimester contain abnormal chormosomes, the rest have either collagen vascular disease, diabetes or other hormonal problems. If you lose your baby in the1st trimester, chances are that the fetus had one of these problems.

 So, now you know what the drug does and what in most cases causes miscarriage in early pregnancy, would you still use Duphaston to prevent miscarriage or just let nature take it's course?

I haven't really made a decision yet, but don't hesitate to let me know what you think!

sources: netdoctor.uk/medicinenet.com


sources: netdoctor.uk/medicinenet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog. Let me know what you think! - Jill