Blog Archive

14.8.11

"You´re supposed to want more than one kid. Don´t you know that´s what your uterus is for!"

 I don't know about you guys, but I've lost count of the amount of people who've told me I'm selfish. The fact that they know we've been trying to conceive for 18 months does not make a difference because every single time me and my husband tell people we only want one child, we get strange looks. It seems rather moronic to be honest. We haven't even succesfully conceived baby number one, yet I have to defend my reason for only wanting one kid on a regular basis.

 Why is it that in this day and age, wanting one child is still frowned upon? Of course there are a lot of downsides to growing up as an only child. But since TTC can be depressing enough, let's just focus on the positives. Here are a couple of reasons why you shouldn't feel bad about only wanting one kid.



 Fertility meds, 5am ultrasounds, dissapointment? Fun!
There are people who have been planning their second child since their first IVF cycle and then there are people who don't even want to think about a second one. I can't imagine finally having my baby in my arms after a long bout of depression infertility and immediately wanting another one. I'd feel greedy.

Money issues? What money issues?
There's no doubt that kids cost truckloads of money. But I can only imagine we'd have a lot more financial freedom with one child then we'd have with two...obviously. Being able to enjoy your mocktail on a guilt free spa weekend while knowing your kid has everything he/she could possibly need, sounds truly amazing.

Time is free, but it's priceless
 Whether you plan on being a working mom or not, being able to spend quality time with your offspring and having undivided attention for him/her is as good as it gets. 

Piano classes,  Ballet, Peruvian panflute courses, take your pick.
With more money on your bank account, your littlest family member can pick every activity he/she wants and  you'll have time to go to every single ballet recital and footbal game (without having to bring along pouty siblings)

Bali, here we come!

Want to add some stamps to your passport? Traveling with one child isn´t really as challenging as traveling with 2/3 of diffferent ages.

Time for romance
With only one child to entertain, feed and put to bed, you'll have more than enough time to be romantic with the hubby instead of falling a sleep yourself after little Sue and her 3 siblings have finally gone to sleep.

Wanna go see a movie, or go out to dinner?
Most people won't have a problem with babysitting one child. So you'll be able to unwind with your signifiact other or girlfriend(s) a little more often without mommy guilt.

Miss or Mister independent
Only children are often independent, self assured and organised. Only child syndrome does not exist.

Get in shape
This is a very superficial reason. But after your first and last child is the perfect time to battle the extra pounds and get in the best shape of your life.


You might wonder if an only child doesn't wish he/she had siblings. Well, you wished you were an only child on some occasions too right? It happens. I'm not completely dismissing the thought of ever having a second child. But I don't want to have a second child solely because I want my first child to have someone to play with. If we do choose to expand our family I'm 100% sure we're going to adopt.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog. Let me know what you think! - Jill